Wednesday, March 14, 2012

So Bumpy

That evening Le Bon David arrives up to pick up his mother. She is waiting at the door, dressed in black leggings and a long silvery top with black fringes.

Mother! says David. You look....quite remarkable.

I thought I would dress for the occasion, says Mrs Hume. Where are we going? Have you called a taxi?

No, says David, I thought we'd just hop on a bus. It isn't too far into town.

A bus! says Mrs Hume. Oh alright. I suppose it will be amusing. But I shall feel conspicuous, dressed up like this.

Don't worry, says David. No one will mind.

They walked to the bus stop, to wait for the bus.

What are we going to see? asks Mrs Hume. Nothing too low brow I hope.

The Origin of Species By Means of Natural Selection, says David, impressively.

Oh, says Mrs Hume. By that fellow Darwin, I suppose?

Oh, you know about him, do you? says David,.

I like to keep up with the latest in science, says Mrs Hume. Oh, here comes the bus. Help me on.

David helps his mother onto the bus. The driver gives them green tickets. They start to walk to the back of the bus.

Oi! says the driver. Put those tickets through the machine!

What did he say? asks Mrs Hume.

We have to validate our tickets, says David. Like this! He pokes his ticket into the bright yellow machine. Beep! goes the machine. A red cross shows on the tiny screen.

Wrong way! says the driver. Turn it round!

Well really! says Mrs Hume. I have read all about this in the newspaper. These new machines that don't work.  They need to get them fixed. It's not good enough.......

Sit down mother, says David. It's alright. The machines are just new. They.....

The bus moves off at a lick.

Oh ! Oh! cries Mrs Hume. It's so bumpy!

No comments: