Saturday, March 31, 2012

Application to Musical Composition

Was that question for me? asked Professor Barnsley.

No it was for me, said The Velodrone. I must apologise for my friends. They misheard something I said.

Easily done, said Professor Barnsley. But does anyone have a question for me?

Fortunately for Professor Barnsley, someone did have a question. It came from the balcony upstairs.

Professor, said the person from the balcony upstairs, do you think the priciples of superfractals could be applied to musical composition?

Professor Barnsley considered a moment.

No, he said. And that is because I am a person who doesn't get music. I get mathematics and art, but I have a tin ear.

The professor answered several more questions and the event drew to a close. Everyone stood up to go home.

I'll have one more try, said The VeloDrone. He approached the professor. Le Bon David and Belle et Bonne sat down again.

I was interested to hear that you have a tin ear, said The VeloDrone.

Everyone is interested to hear that, said the professor. It's odd I suppose. But I don't mind a spot of poetry. What was that question your friends were asking you? About Milton?

Oh, that! said The VeloDrone. They meant Newton.

Oh, Newton! said the professor.  They don't sound alike.

No they don't, agreed The Velodrone, wondering how he was going to steer the conversation back to bicycles without mentioning Oxford again. He looked hopefully towards David. David stood up and strolled over.

My friend Le Bon David has a tin ear as well, said The Velodrone.

Oh I say! said Le Bon David hotly. Who's the one who attends lunch hour concerts?

Do you indeed? said Professor Barnsley. I hear they have wonderful concerts in Adelaide.

Yes, David goes on his bicycle, said The VeloDrone.

Are they held out of doors? asked the professor.

No, no, said Le Bon David. I get off and go in, leaving my bicycle outside.

There was a silence, while they thought about that.

Belle et Bonne had been listening. They weren't getting anywhere. Suddenly she had an idea.



No comments: