Monday, March 26, 2012

Who Didn't Ride a Bike

Do I really look like a spider? said Le Bon David. I'm flattered, Belle et Bonne.

Why? asked The Velodrone. Surely you're supposed to look like a barnacle.

True, said Le Bon David. But spiders have thin legs.

You don't, said The VeloDrone.

That's why I'm flattered, said Le Bon David,

Who taught you the barnacle dance, Uncle David? asked Belle et Bonne. Was it that Senegalese musician?

Ziggi? No, said Le Bon David. It was that Darwin chappie. He's heavily into barnacles.

Darwin? The VeloDrone's ears pricked up. Charles Darwin?

Yes, said Le Bon David. Why?

Does he ride a bicycle? asked The VeloDrone?

I don't think so, said David. I could ask him, if he hasn't left the country.

Ask him anyway, said The VeloDrone. It would be a coup for us if  Darwin wrote an article for Velosophy.

So it would, said David. I shall get in touch with him.

He did another little barnacle jig, bending his knees and inching sideways in a circularity towards the diminishing prawns. 

I suppose we should be going home, said The VeloDrone. This genome thing was interesting but it hasn't won us any contributions.

You shouldn't have teased Professor Snyder, said Belle et Bonne.  He may have ridden a bicycle, but you'll never know.

We'll have better luck tomorrow, said The VeloDrone.

At the Superfractals talk at RIAUS? said Belle et Bonne. I'm glad you're confident, papa.

I am, said The VeloDrone. I never met a geometer yet who didn't ride a bike.
















No comments: