Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Tuxedo Cat

Margaret waited. She didn't have much choice. When the show was over and everyone filed out, Paco was standing at the exit.

Great show, said the man in front of Margaret. I laughed my head off at you Germans.

Thanks, said Paco. Oh, hello Margaret. I want a word with you.

Paco! said Margaret. Did I wreck your show?

You wrecked it, said Paco. And you didn't get it, either.

Of course I got it, said Margaret. And you were naughty, making everyone laugh at stereotypes you'd just been telling them were wrong.

That was the point, Margaret. When they get home they'll realise it, said Paco earnestly. You English are so thick.

Ooh! said Margaret, stung. There you go again, and furthermore I am not English.

I bet your mother was, said Paco.

Yes she was, said Margaret. How did you know?

A lucky guess, said Paco. But Margaret, let's bury the hatchet. I'm finished for the night. And I don't know anyone in Adelaide.Would you like to come out for a drink?

Margaret was not one to say no to an invitation. They soon found themselves sitting at a dark and splintery table in a crowded venue on North Terrace called the Tuxedo Cat. Paco ordered two drinks from the caravan that doubled as a bar.

Edgy, said Paco, this Tuxedo Cat.

Dangerous, said Margaret, but it has a certain buzz.

Just then the police arrived.




No comments: