Tuesday, March 20, 2012

She Doesn't Need Telling

David and Darwin shuffle forward.

What's this about Mr Faraday's nickname being Ziggi? says Mrs Hume. It turns out his nickname is plain Mike.

Wait a minute, says Michael Faraday. It isn't.

I thought you said it was, says Mrs Hume, exasperated.

You didn't let me finish, says Michael Faraday. I was about to point out that Mike is the more conventional nickname for someone with the name of Michael.

I don't need telling that, says Mrs Hume.

She turns to Darwin.

So who's this Ziggi you were talking about while I was in the Ladies?

Darwin is not sure whether to come clean. He looks at David.

David shakes his head.

Perhaps it's a coincidence, says Michael Faraday, but there is a Senegalese musician by the name of Ziggi playing at the House of Africa tomorrow night. I myself intend to go. I like a spot of African dancing. Why don't you all come along? It will be a wonderful way to end the Fringe.

Most certainly, we'd love to join you, Mr Faraday. Wouldn't we, David? Wouldn't we, Mr Darwin?

Yes, says David, heavily. We would.

Indeed, says Darwin, relieved..

Well good night, Mr Faraday, says Mrs Hume. We'll see you at the House of Africa tomorrow evening. What fun!

What fun, echoes David, turning to leave.

What a lucky COINCIDENCE, says Mrs Hume. Or whatever it was, she adds, as they head towards the stairs.

No comments: