Sunday, March 11, 2012

Out of Bounds

At last Eric has finished his Tales of the Sea. As each person files out, Eric hands them a badge.

Ten minutes pass, while Eric packs up his stuff. Now, the audience for Juliet Meyers is let in to sit down.

Gaius, David and Margaret sit in the second row.

Juliet bounces on to the stage.

Hi! she says. I'm Juliet Meyers. I'm from London. Isn't it hot? I put this top on in a hurry. It doesn't fit me properly any more. Let me know if it gapes.

Gaius and David think this is rather engaging. Margaret does not.

Juliet goes on:

I like to know something about my audience. Put your hand up if you're part of a couple.

Magaret puts her hand up. Gaius and David do not.

Juliet looks at Margaret..

So, did you come on your own? asks Juliet.

No, says Margaret.

So, who's with you? says Juliet. No, let me guess. She points at David.

Margaret is pointing at Gaius. Gaius is pointing at David.

Woo hoo! says Juliet. Anyone else in this couple?

Margaret turns red. The rest of the audience laughs.

Juliet goes on: Has anyone been made redundant?

Gaius and David exchange looks. Is she referring to them?

But no, Juliet has moved on, and now she is talking about work.

.........

The show is over, and so is the night. Everyone goes home. Juliet to her hotel, Margaret to her house, Gaius to his, David to his mother's. Violetta and Paco to ..... mm, actually... they are still in the cellar of the Tuxedo Cat, assessing the walls at the crumbling out-of-bounds end. They may well get locked in.


No comments: