Monday, March 12, 2012

A Philosopher's Breakfast

But who cares whether Violetta and Paco are trapped  for the night in the cellar of the Tuxedo Cat? David's gone home to his mother!

Le Bon David does not live with his mother. Mrs Hume lives alone. But David has a key and sometimes he sleeps on her couch after a particularly late night on the town.

Next morning Mrs Hume emerges from her bedroom and is surprised to see David in the lounge.

David! she cries. When did you come in?

Oooooh! Eeeeehrrrr! says David, sitting up and rubbing his eyes. Mother, I've been at the Fringe.

The Fringe! says Mrs Hume, disapprovingly. What does the Fringe have to offer a philosopher? Particularly one of your age.

I was supposed to be writing a review, says David. I had a free ticket. But one thing led to another.....

Well, says Mrs Hume. I suppose you want breakfast?

No! says David. Wait. Yes. What have you got?

You know me, says Mrs Hume. I always have muesli.

I thought you stopped having muesli, says David. Because it sticks in your teeth.

It does, says Mrs Hume. It sticks in my teeth. I shall have to stop eating it. What do you usually eat?

Weetbix, says David. It's softer. In fact, it's quite mushy, when it's sat in the milk for a while.

Really? says Mrs Hume. I must try it.

Mother, says David We've had this conversation before.

I don't think so, says Mrs Hume. Now tell me all about this ridiculous Fringe.

Better than that, says David. I'll take you out to something tonight. You'll see what it has to offer a philosopher.

Oh David! says Mrs Hume. How very exciting! What shall I wear?

Whatever you like, says David.

No comments: