Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Compassion, The Highest Of Virtues

Squawk! Ding!

Poor birdie indeed. Half his beak falls on the pavement.

Oops, says Terence. Now I'm in trouble.

A wildlife officer appears, from a leafy corner of the aviary.

What's up? he says. Oi oi, you've damaged our bird!

Sweezus backs towards the revolving door of the aviary.

Stop right there! says the wildlife officer. Are you the responsible adult in charge of this baby?

I suppose so, says Sweezus. Why, what's he done?

The wildlife officer bends down to pick up the beak part. He holds it in the palm of his hand. It looks grey, small and pathetic.

The bird lies on the path.

.........

Later, back in the office.

Kong Fu-Zi is alone.

Kong Fu-Zi: I wonder how this works?

(He types gingerly).

The door opens and Sweezus comes in.

Kong Fu-Zi: Hello! Aren't you the ghost writer?

Sweezus: Could be.

Kong Fu-Zi: How very lucky. Perhaps you might help me. I'm writing this article......

Sweezus: Yeah, I would but I'm busy. Hang on a tick. I've left the baby.

He goes back through the door, and returns with Terence in tow.

Kong Fu-Zi: What a fine little family! Hello baby. What have you there?

Terence: What does it look like?

Kong Fu-Zi: It looks like a nail.

Terence: Stupid! It's bendy.

Kong Fu-Zi: A hook then.

Terence: It's a beak!

Sweezus: And it's broken. Tell the man how you broke it.

Terence: I was feeding the birdie a crumbum....

Sweezus: Terence!

Terence: A crumb. And it was greedy, and it went wark-wark-ding! and it's beak fell off and the man said it was my fault, and now the birdie can't eat, so he's going to Heaven.

Kong Fu-Zi: How do you know?

Sweezus: That's what I said.

Terence: I asked him.

Kong Fu-Zi: How is this possible?

Terence (pulling a stiff bird from his gecko shorts pocket): Cause he's here! You can ask him.

Sweezus: Gross! You kept it! You little monkey.

Kong Fu-Zi:  Let me see. Ah. It appears to be breathing!

Birdie: Uh.. uh.. uh.. whistle.

Sweezus: Take it away!

Kong Fu-Zi: No, no. Remember the five virtues, the highest of which is compassion.

Birdie: Whistle-eeee!

Terence: Poor birdie: It's because you don't have a top beak. Don't be sad, you'll soon be in Heaven

He places the bird on the floor.

They all look at the bird, with expectation and/or sympathy.



No comments: