Friday, September 5, 2014

Great Sage, Equal Of Heaven

Two days later, back in Adelaide, at the Velosophy office, the Chinese visitor is chatting with Ageless and Captain Louttit.

The sage is speaking:

Sage: When the stables burnt down, on returning from court, I said Was anyone hurt? I did not ask about the horses.

Ageless: Why not?

Captain Louttit: Perhaps there weren't any horses.

Sage: No, there were horses.

Ageless: Was anyone hurt?

Sage: You are missing the point of the story.

Ageless: What is it?

Sage: This story shows that I value human life over property.

Captain Louttit: But you don't value horses.

Ageless: You think horses are property.

Captain Louttit: This begs the question.....

Ageless: What if the stables had been full of lobsters?

Captain Louttit: Exactly.

Sage: You see. This is why I have come. I need advice on current thinking.

Ageless: A heads-up.

Sage : If that's what it's called.

Squeak!! The door opens and in come Vello, David and Schopenhauer.

Ageless: At last!

Vello: Is this our visitor?

Sage: Forgive me for intruding. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Kong Fu-Zi.

David: Kong Fu-Zi?

Schopenhauer: Great Sage! Departed Teacher ! The Extremely Declarable!

Kong Fu-Zi: I see my reputation precedes me.

Vello: No it doesn't. Not to me anyway.

Kong Fu-Zi: I am known in the West as Confucius.

Vello: My goodness. Very pleased to meet you. May I ask why you have honoured us with a visit?

Ageless: He's lost all his horses in a fire.

Vello: Dear dear. We must discuss it. Is there tea in the offing?

Ageless: No there isn't.

Kong Fu-Zi: Shall I make some tea? I have all the accoutrements.

(he draws a tea pot and four ceramic cups from a fold in his robes)

David : How nice. I'll get some biscuits.

(he goes to the cupboard)

Captain Louttit: We haven't been shopping. We've been too busy holding the fort while you've been on holiday.

Schopenhauer: Horses eh? What happened?

Kong Fu-Zi: I fear I have inadvertently upset these lobsters. The horses, being property, are irrelevant. I believe it is people who matter. Is this wrong?

Schopenhauer: I should think so. There is no doubt that horses have feelings.

Kong Fu-Zi: I don't deny it. To burn would be painful.

David (coming back from the cupboard) : No biscuits.

Kong Fu-Zi: Tea ceremony is not requiring of biscuits.

David: My, my. What then?

Kong Fu-Zi: Hot water and tea leaves.

David: I'm sure we have them.

He looks enquiringly at Ageless, and Captain Louttit.

But the lobsters have taken against the great sage now that they know he values human life over property and refuse to cooperate.

No comments: