Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Five Relationships

Seriously, says Katherine, where is Arthur? And Sweezus. I thought they'd be here.

Held up in customs, says Vello.

Dear me, says Katherine. Was it sausages? I once had to relinquish some sausages.

No, says David. Not sausages. A baby. And a parrot.

A surrogate baby? says Katherine. They've been in the news lately.

Of course not, says David. It's more complicated than that. This baby is.....

Sweezus himself! says Schopenhauer. Or so he professes.

Impossible nonsense! says Katherine. And who is the parrot?

A stand-in, says Vello. No, don't look so sceptical, Katherine. You've heard of the Paraclete?

That's a pigeon! says Katherine. Isn't it?

I applaud your knowledge of theology, says Vello.

And ornithology, says Schopenhauer. Most people think he's a dove.

May I interrupt for a minute? interrupts Kong Fu-Zi.

Certainly, says David. Is it about Taoist cosmology?

No, says Kong Fu-Zi. It's about the weather. I've just noticed it's terribly windy.

They all look out of the window.

I'm to be a guest at the Moon Lantern Festival this evening, says Kong Fu-Zi.

It was cancelled, says Katherine. And it was last night

How unlucky, says Kong Fu-Zi. But also lucky. I have a free evening. May I invite you all out to dinner?

Why, thank you, says Vello. We'd be delighted. Where shall we go?

I like Mexican, says Kong Fu-Zi.

So do I, says Katherine.

No, we must eat Chinese, says Schopenhauer. Given the occasion.

All right, says Kong Fu-Zi. You eat Chinese.

He likes to think he's an easy-going person.

.........

Later.

Thank you for a lovely dinner, Master Kong, says Katherine.

You are welcome dear lady, says Kong Fu-Zi.

(They are getting along very well now).

.......

Even later, in Katherine's kitchen.

Tell me about the Flawed Diamond, says Kong Fu-Zi.

Oh you mean Arthur, says Katherine. Well, he's very nice looking. Blue eyes, artistically tousled hair, a talented poet......

And the flaw? says Kong Fu-Zi.

Unreliable, says Katherine. Would you like another slice of Moon cake?

Who could resist such an offer? says Kong Fu-Zi. And shall I pour some more tea?

Thank you, Fu-Zi, says Katherine. May I call you Fu-Zi?

Certainly Katherine, says Fu-Zi. Now tell me about the pebble.

David! says Katherine. Another unreliable! Will he accompany me to Sydney? I don't think so!

Pebble without flaw? says Fu-Zi.

My son is known as Le Bon David, says Katherine. Only by the French though, for reasons best known to themselves....

Katherine and Fu-Zi find themselves laughing.

Perhaps something was added to the tea.

Next thing Fu-Zi is offering to fly with Katherine to Sydney.

No comments: