Wednesday, October 16, 2019

It Means I Know What I'm Doing

That's a nice scarf, says Margaret. Foreshore Market?

Yes, says Katherine. I nearly bought you one.

But you didn't, says Margaret.

No, I wasn't sure if you'd like one, says Katherine. You're not a scarf person.

I'm not, says Margaret. But Tasmania can be chilly.

True, says Katherine. And these scarves are surprisingly warm.

I might wander down there, says Margaret.

I'll stay here, until Terence comes back, says Katherine.

......

Terence has gone outside with Victor.

Where's the parrot? asks Victor.

At the market, says Terence. On the flower stall. Saying a poem.

You don't say, says Victor. Why would he do that?

Practice, says Terence. Jinjing has a goal.

I don't care about his goals or his poetry, says Victor. I just want to confirm it's the same parrot we locked in a cage on the Spirit of Tasmania.

It is, says Terence. No wait, it isn't.

This is the contradictory story I keep being told, says Victor. Let me advise you, it's wise to cooperate with the police.

Yes, says Terence. That's why I'm taking you to the Market. Come on.

They walk down the road, Terence leading.

They arrive at the Foreshore. Some stall holders are already packing up.

Here, says Terence, stopping at the flower stall. He was here. But he's gone.

Are you talking about that wonderful parrot? asks the stall holder.

That remains to be seen, says Victor.

He left with this boy, and a lady, says the stall holder.

THIS BOY? says Victor.

Yes, says the stall holder. This boy. He is unmistakable.

See, says Terence. That means I know what I'm doing.

So where's the PARROT! shouts Victor.

Now, now, sir, says the stall holder. No need to shout. It's probably with the lady.

Let's go to the plant stall, says Terence.

Whatever for? asks Victor.

If you buy me a plant, I'll remember where he is, says Terence.

Victor is about to say that is not how the police operate.

Then he decides that, in these circumstances, it is.

He goes to the plant stall with Terence.

Which plant would you like?

This one, says Terence, pointing at a spiky one, in a red pot.

Victor buys it.

Now do you remember? asks Victor.

Terence has just opened his mouth to remember, when Margaret appears.

She has bought a new scarf.

It is the most suitable scarf you could think of for a geologist. Earth colours, rock colours, metal colours.

It softens her features.

For a moment, Victor abandons his pursuit of the parrot.

No comments: