Friday, October 18, 2019

The Impervious Boy

I hope he's not following us, says Katherine.

Margaret cranes around.

No, he's just turning his vehicle, says Margaret.

Good, says Katherine. We didn't need that.

Did he return your cheese knife? asks Margaret.

No, he didn't, says Katherine. But I bought a new one in the Cheese Shop.

You shouldn't let him get away with it, says Margaret.

He got away with my hat, says Terence.

Not the same thing, says Katherine. It wasn't your hat. Have a look on the back seat for your old one.

Terence looks on the back seat.

A rug. Mintie wrappers. A Japanese novel. Jinjing. Dear Zebra. No hat.

It's on the back shelf, says Jinjing.

Yay! says Terence.

We're nearly at Rocky Cape, says Katherine. Where are you staying?

Sisters Beach, says Margaret. In a guest house.

Should be nice, says Katherine.

I shall be out most of the day, says Margaret. With my hammer. Looking for zircon minerals.

I do hope you're successful, says Katherine. It's almost incredible to think that Tasmania may once have been part of North America. I mean, look where it is nowadays...

Yes, says Margaret, but it was a long time ago. Samples from Rocky Cape have already been matched with samples from Idaho.

Here we are, says Katherine. Sisters Beach. How will you get about, dear?

Shanks pony, says Margaret. If I need to, I'll borrow a bike.

They drive until they locate the guest house. Margaret gets out of the car, unloads her back pack and geology tools.

Don't forget your lovely scarf dear, says Katherine. You'll need it. It's windy.

Thanks Katherine, says Margaret. I'll see you in five days. Enjoy your cheese odyssey.

I will, says Katherine. Goodbye. Say goodbye, Terence.

But Terence is squeezing Dear Zebra's fat leaves, in the back seat, and doesn't look up.

Juice oozes out of the succulent leaves of Dear Zebra.

Dear Zebra can't understand why her spikes are not acting as the usual deterrent.

Her new owner must be an impervious boy.

Right, says Katherine. Back to ... hum... I ought to look at my list of good cheese outlets.

She has the list handy. She looks.

Ashgrove Cheese

Bay of  Fires Cheese Shop.

Pyengana Dairy.

Wicked Cheese Co.

Bruny Island Cheese Co.

Bruny Island. Isn't that where Gaius is seeking the forty spotted panteloop or whatever its name is?

She looks at her google map.

How inconveniently placed are these cheese shops. And Bruny is the furthest away.

I'm STICKY, wails Terence.

He's wrecked his new plant, says Jinjing.

Katherine has a brainwave.

How about we drive straight down to Bruny Island and you stay with Gaius and Arthur while I do my cheese tour?

Jinjing looks hopeful.


No comments: