Friday, October 4, 2019

The Dark Region


While Katherine and Margaret try Ash Blues of varying robustness, Jinjing composes a poem.

Victor watches him, while listening to the ladies assessing the cheese.

Katherine: This Discovery Ash Blue is nice.

Margaret: Too mild, in my opinion.

Victor: Try the Endeavour.

Margaret (trying it): Phoo!

Katherine: That knocked her socks off!

Victor: It's the most robust of the Ash Blues. Try the Roaring Forties, it's milder. Have a fig, or some pecans and raisins to go with it.

Katherine (chewing): This is nice too.

Victor: Pardon?

Katherine: I said this is nice too.

Victor: Oh yes, sorry. I was watching Jinjing. He looks preoccupied. Do you think he's planning to escape?

Katherine: No. He's probably composing a poem. Jinjing!

Jinjing: Yes?

Katherine: How's it going?

Jinjing: Finished. Shall I run it by you?

Katherine: Please do.

Jinjing (clearing his nasal cavity): Ahem!


The Song Of Jinjing

I rose through adversity
And flew to the Ash Blue Mountain
This is my story.

Once, I had a button.
Now I am free.
Freedom brings responsibility.
I travel with an infant

If I am asked for a favour I do it.
The infant has a friend
A bin penguin
With the wrong bottle inside.

I enter the dark region.
Seeking the wrong bottle.
Fumes overpower me.
I drop it.

I fly to the ocean to cleanse myself.
Children are laughing.
Where are your feathers
Strange bird?

I tell them my story.
Where is the wrong bottle?
Ask the children.
Still in the penguin, I say.

You tried, say the children.
Use a hook next time.
Thank you, I reply.

How do I smell now?
Like wet fur, say the children.
Goodbye.


Wonderful, says Katherine. What a talent!

Not bad, says Margaret.

Explains a lot, says Victor. I'll need a hard copy.


No comments: