Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Nothing He Likes More Than Paper

Katherine and Victor have finished their lunch.

Victor produces his paperwork.

Let me see, says Katherine. All these boxes! Ah! Witness statement. I'll fill that in.

Please do, says Victor.

Katherine takes out her red pen.

Blue or black pen only, says Victor.

It's red or nothing, says Katherine.

Okay, says Victor.

Katherine starts writing: I, Katherine Hume, am part guardian of a toy parrot which was mistakenly imprisoned below decks on the Spirit of Tasmania. The toy parrot was recovered by me, by means of a cheese knife. There was minimal damage to the cage.

Victor looks over her shoulder.

A good point. What was the damage?

I simply cut through some string, says Katherine.

I'll need to sight the cheese knife, says Victor.

Terence has it, says Katherine. He'll be here soon.

Good, says Victor. What would you like to do in the meantime?

We could do the interactive paper tour, says Katherine.

Excellent, says Victor. There is nothing I like more than paper.

I believe you, says Katherine.

They head to Creative Paper, a part of the Makers Workshop where handmade paper is made.

They are admiring the paper when Margaret appears, with Terence.

Thought I'd find you here, says Margaret. I asked myself: what would a policeman want to look at? Answer: paper. And it seems I was right.

I see you found your hat, Terence, says Katherine.

This isn't that hat, says Terence.

It looks very similar, says Katherine.

It's the reason he went missing in Penguin, says Margaret. He was following the hat.

Because mine was lost, says Terence.

I think you'll find that it wasn't, says Katherine. It'll be in the car.

So I've got two hats! says Terence. For next time I lose one.

Did he buy it? asks Katherine.

No he swapped it, says Margaret.

For Jinjing? asks Katherine. I don't see him.

No, Jinjing is coming later, to avoid seeing Victor, says Margaret.

I don't need to see him, says Victor. Paperwork's all done. Except for an authorised sighting of Katherine cheese knife.

I have bad news then, says Margaret.


No comments: