Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Overly Mindful

I'm going back now, says Katherine. I told Margaret I'd be half an hour.

Me too, says Terence.

I doubt that, says Katherine. But let's go. Jinjing, are you coming?

Is Victor still there? asks Jinging.

Probably, says Katherine. If you like you can wait in the car.

What about my freedom? says Jinjing.

You're being a bit precious, says Katherine. Make up your mind.

Come with us, says Terence. I'll protect you. Anyway, Victor's a neck pain.

You mean a pain in the neck, says Katherine.

Both, says Terence. But he's learning.

Katherine makes her way through the crowded Foreshore Market, with her new scarf and her three paper flowers. Followed by Terence, and Jinjing.

I didn't get anything, says Terence.

You got me, says Jinjing.

I would've liked a plant, says Terence.

But Katherine doesn't go back to the plant stall.

....

In the Wonders of Wynyard café, Margaret looks at her watch.

She is conscious of the gesture.

Neck bent, head forward, sleeve up, quick look.

What are you thinking? asks Victor.

Perhaps I'm overthinking, says Margaret. But how did that look?

What? asks Victor.

When I looked at my watch, says Margaret.

I didn't notice, says Victor. Do it again.

Margaret looks at her watch again, although it's just ten seconds later.

I see, says Victor. Try it again with your head erect. Craning forward inhibits your breathing.

So it does, says Margaret. My breathing.

She sits upright, head erect, lifts her arm to eye level. Again checks the time.

See, says Victor. Your sleeve retracts automatically, when you do it that way.

It feels much better, says Margaret. Is that the way you do it?

No, says Victor. I only came up with it through observing you.

Something wrong with your eyes, Margaret? says Katherine, looming up from behind.

No, says Margaret. Victor and I are practising conscious control of our actions.

Good heavens! says Katherine. Have things gone that far?

It's a form of mindfulness, says Margaret. And we're new to it.

Obviously, says Katherine. You lost Terence. He turned up at the Market. Luckily I found him at a flower stall.

I don't suppose you spotted the parrot, says Victor.

I spotted a parrot, says Katherine. It may not have been him.

It was him! says Terence.

Where is he now? asks Victor. He's the last piece of the puzzle.

Outside, says Terence. I'll show you.

Katherine shrugs.

If that's what you both want.

Victor gets up hastily, bumping his knee on the leg of the table. He follows Terence to the exit.

They both go outside.

Katherine sits down in the chair that's still warm from his bottom.

Too much mindfulness can be disconcerting.


No comments: