Thursday, October 17, 2019

Who Knows What They Are?

That scarf suits you, says Victor.

Thank you, says Margaret. What do you think, Terence?

Nothing, says Terence. And we have to go.

Yes, we do, says Margaret. What's that you've got there?

A spiky plant, says Terence. Victor bought it for me.

A Haworthia fasciata, says Margaret, reading the tag. Also known as a Zebra Plant.

Dear Zebra, says Terence, stroking his plant.

You were about to tell me the location of the parrot, says Victor.

It's in the car, says Margaret.

I WAS GOING TO TELL HIM! says Terence. Now you've wrecked it!

In the car? says Victor. I presume you mean Katherine's?

Yes, says Margaret. Jinjing wants to avoid you. But all this is holding us up. Let's get it over with.

Lead on, says Victor.

I'm keeping you, whispers Terence to Dear Zebra.

Dear Zebra thinks: That seems fair.

They walk across to Katherine's car, parked outside The Wonders of Wynyard.

Jinjing is in the car, keeping a lookout.

Victor taps on the window. Jinjing rolls it down.

Come out, says Victor.

Why? asks Jinjing.

Identity check, says Victor.

It's me, says Jinjing. Terence knows me . Margaret knows me. Katherine knows me. You know me. All the people at the Foreshore Market know me.

But not what you are, says Victor.

Who knows what they are? says Jinjing. It's one of THE existential questions.

No obfuscating, says Victor. Can you show me your button?

No, says Jinjing. It's been sewn up. Margaret did it. There are two white cotton dots underneath me to prove it.

Show me, says Victor.

Victor, says Margaret. Have you a clear idea of the purpose of your enquiry?

Of course I do, says Victor.

You don't seem to, says Margaret.

Victor is stung.

Do you want to establish where he was or what he is? continues Margaret. And have you considered what would constitute reasonable proof of either?

Properly completed paperwork, says Victor. And I'm almost there.

Katherine emerges from The Wonders of Wynyard.

Margaret, what a lovely scarf! Terence, I see you managed to wangle a plant. What a sweet one. Is it a Zebra?

It's called Dear Zebra, says Terence. It's spiky.

And such a nice red pot, says Katherine. Well, shall we be going? All right, Victor?

Victor is almost finished, says Margaret.

Yes? says Katherine. What remains to be done?

Victor isn't sure now. He decides on a photo.

They should all be in it, the suspects.

Line up, says Victor. Either side of the window. Jinjing looking out.

Click! It's done. He looks at it quickly.

Yes, he has captured the ladies, and the parrot, but Terence's face is obscured by Dear Zebra.

Too bad.

They have already piled into the car and shot off.

Should he follow them? He knows where they're going.

No comments: