Saturday, October 19, 2019

Didn't Know She Had Babies

The more Katherine thinks about it, the more she likes it.

An hour back to Devonport, then five hours from Devonport to Kettering.

Across to Bruny Island. Meet up with Gaius. Drop Terence. Visit that good Bruny Cheese shop. Then a slow meander back up the east coast via the other lovely cheese shops, without Terence.

Bliss.

But can she do it today? It's well after lunch time.

This will be a fast trip, says Katherine. Are you up for it?

I need a wash first, says Terence.

Sorry, says Katherine. You'll have to stay sticky.

He'll dry, says Jinjing. Then he'll be stiff as anything.

I don't want to be stiff as anything, says Terence.

Well, keep moving, says Katherine.

I can't, says Terence. Can I undo the safety belt?

No, says Katherine. Surely it's only your fingers.

It's all over, says Terence. Because I wiped them.

Wriggle your fingers and toes, says Katherine. Look, we're passing through Wynyard!

That's where you came from, says Terence, to his pot plant Dear Zebra.

She can't hear you, says Jinjing. She's dying.

You'll have to call her Dead Zebra, says Katherine.

Wah! says Terence. Make her come back alive.

Tip some water on her, says Katherine, handing Terence a bottle through the seat gap.

Okay, says Terence. He opens the bottle. Water comes out.

Yuck, says Terence. I'll never dry out now.

On HER! says Katherine. Not on you.

I'll do it, says Jinjing. But it's hard for a parrot to do it.

Dear Zebra's tips curl up slightly and go yellow. Her splits are all gluey.

Goodbye me, thinks Dear Zebra. Goodbye my babies.

We didn't know she had babies. Tiny growths, under her leaves. They're called pups.

Now we know, it's even sadder.

Passing through Penguin! says Katherine.

Stop! says Terence. I want to say goodbye to Baby Bin Penguin.

No, says Katherine. I told you I wasn't stopping.

This is a rubbish trip! says Terence.

Write him a letter, says Katherine. He'll like it.

How will he get it? asks Terence.

We'll post it from Bruny Island, says Katherine. There should be some paper in the back. And you can use my red pen.

I can't actually write words, says Terence.

You can draw him a picture, says Katherine. Draw Dear Zebra, in her red pot.

Terence starts drawing.

Quiet reigns in the back seat.

Except for the tiny pups, whining.

No comments: