Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Sleep-may-be

You appeared to know the lobster, says the chocolatier.

A friend of a friend, says Arthur. Do you sell broken chocolates?

No, says the chocolatier. We take great care when making our chocolates.

That one looks broken, says Arthur.

Tut! says the chocolatier. The lobster has handled it. Here, you may have it.

Using his tongs, the chocolatier hands Arthur a milk chocolate with violet flowers on top. One violet flower is broken.

Arthur looks at the chocolate.

Not going to eat it? asks the chocolatier.

Not yet, says Arthur. I'll probably give it to the lobster, next time I see him.

Please don't, says the chocolatier. That will only encourage him.

I suppose I don't have to, says Arthur, looking pointedly at a large slab of nougat.

I'll throw in the nougat if you undertake not to give the broken chocolate to your friend, says the chocolatier.

Okay, says Arthur. I promise.

He leaves the Nutpatch, having come off quite well.

.....

Captain Bruni has made his way to the place where he last saw Gaius.

Gaius is not there.

He'll be looking for spotted pardalotes, thinks Captain Bruni. I'll make for the eucalypts.

Once under the eucalypt canopy Captain Bruni makes pardalote bird sounds.

Sleepmaybe sleepmaybe sleepmaybe!

This is the annoying call of the spotted pardelote in the breeding season, and the reason why it is  sometimes called the Headache Bird.

Hark! says Gaius, who is not far away. I think I heard one.

It sounds unconvincing to me, says P. krameri.

Nevertheless we should follow it up, says Gaius moving towards the place where he heard sleep-may-be.

Heo ho, mon ami! says Captain Bruni. That convincing bird call was made by me.

Bruni! says Gaius. I was hoping to see you. We've been delayed a few hours.

Excellent, says Captain Bruni. I shall stay with you. I have just left the Nutpatch, where I bumped into Arthur. He was not pleased to see me. Nor was the chocolatier.

Surely not, says Gaius. You must be well known around here.

People expect me to be a Frenchman, says Captain Bruni. They don't expect a lobster, and yet the Tasmanian coast is awash with lobster sea captains.

I know, says Gaius. You shouldn't need to explain. I recall Captain Louttit had a similar story.

Captain Louttit! says Captain Bruni, with joy. Have you seen him recently?

Not recently says Gaius.

You two sit here, and reminisce, says P. krameri. I'll keep an eye out.

That's nice of P. kameri.

No comments: