Sunday, October 20, 2019

Leaving Out The Betrayal

How's it going in the back there? asks Katherine.

Finished, says Terence. Want to see it?

I'm driving, says Katherine. Jinjing can tell me what it looks like.

It looks like a hedgehog, says Jinjing.

As if! scoffs Terence.

It needs words, says Jinjing. Otherwise Baby Bin Penguin will be puzzled.

Okay, says Terence. You think of some words.

Good idea, says Katherine. And I'll write them down for you when we get to Deloraine.

That means we're stopping, says Terence. You said we weren't stopping.

Toilet break, says Katherine. And I ought to phone Gaius. Pinpoint where he is exactly.

Think of some words, says Terence.

All right, says Jinjing.

Dear Baby Bin Penguin This is not a hedgehog. It's a pot plant I tricked Vincent into buying. I said if he bought me a pot plant I'd tell him where to find Jinjing. I was willing to betray my parrot for a pot plant. And look, I've wrecked it already. Love from Terence.

That's the last time you do my words, says Terence.

What would you have said? asks Jinjing.

Dear Baby Bin Penguin, says Terence. I drew this for you. It's Dear Zebra. She's sticky inside. Her ends are going yellow. Do you know any more penguin jokes? Love from Terence.

Those are both good letters, says Katherine. I'll write them both down, and then we'll decide on a final draft. Perhaps leaving out the betrayal.

Why? asks Terence. That was the only good part.

Katherine keeps on driving. How nice it will be, when she's finally on her own. With Terence, it's all about Terence.

She pulls up in Deloraine outside the Mumma Buzz café.

Enters with Terence and Jinjing, leaving Dear Zebra in the car.

Orders a coffee and a jelly slice.

Calls Gaius.

Katherine: Gaius, it's Katherine. Where are you?

Gaius: Still in Kettering. Is everything all right?

Katherine: Yes of course. But I've decided to start my cheese tour on Bruny Island. I'm heading south now. Should be in Kettering by early evening.

Gaius: Wonderful. We could do with an extra pair of eyes.

Katherine: Where shall I meet you?

Gaius: I don't know.......mumble mumble..... ah yes... Arthur suggests The Gateway.

Katherine: Right, I'll message you before I get there.

Gaius: By the way, I've met an old friend of.....

But Katherine has rung off. Her jelly slice has arrived.

No comments: