Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Bin Out Bin In

Two hours isn't long, says Baby Bin Penguin.

How long is it? asks Terence.

Is this going to be a joke? asks Baby Bin Penguin.

No, says Terence. But what if I don't know? Then we could have longer.

Katherine said be here at two o'clock, says Jinjing. There's no getting round it.

Okay, says Terence. What shall we do?

I can't go anywhere, says Baby Bin Penguin. I'm attached to the pavement. But you guys could go to the beach.

We won't leave you, says Terence. We can see it from here, anyway.

Okay, says Baby Bin Penguin. Let's catch up. What have you been doing?

Getting parrots, says Terence. Losing parrots. Swapping parrots. What have you been doing?

What I always do, says Baby Bin Penguin. Open my mouth. Rubbish comes in. I fill up. My door opens. Bin out. Bin in. Then it starts over.

No wonder you like jokes, says Jinjing.

I have another one, says Baby Bin Penguin. It's a grown up one.

Go, says Terence.

A penguin walks into a bar and says Have you seen my dad? I don't know, says the barman. What does he look like?

That's hard. What's the answer? asks Terence.

That is the answer, says Baby Bin Penguin. I don't get it either. But Daddy Bin thinks it's funny.

I get it, says Jinging. But it's a bit....penguinist.

Uh? says Baby Bin Penguin.

It implies that all penguins look the same, says Jinjing.

That's silly, says Baby Bin Penguin. I'm smaller.

See, says Terence. It WAS hard. And we still don't know the answer.

I wish Dad was here, says Baby Bin Penguin. He'd explain it.

Dad's don't know everything, says Terence. Grandpas do though. Do you have a grandpa?

No, says Baby Bin Penguin. Maybe we could share yours?

Yes, says Terence. His name is Grandpa Marx and he knows all the penguin jokes in the world!

And parrot jokes? asks Jinjing.

Yes and parrot jokes and pebble jokes, says Terence. And things that are not jokes as well.

Like what? asks Baby Bin Penguin.

Like ...

Terence thinks back.

He can't actually remember what not-jokes Grandpa Marx has come up with.

Luckily for Terence, a woman comes by with an empty plastic drink bottle and drops it in Baby Bin Penguin.

So the topic dries up.

No comments: