Wednesday, December 30, 2020

And It Died

The next day. Christmas.

Louisa's mum's house.

Everyone rocks up.

Come in boys, says Carol. Welcome. Good to see you again. How long ago was it? Six years? 

Indeed, says Gaius. Louisa was just a schoolgirl.

Yes. she played the trumpet in the school band, says Carol. And there was some sort of mix-up when you all got off the ferry.

That was me and Arthur, says Sweezus. They thought I was David Suzuki and Arthur was Jacques Cousteau.

That's right, says Carol. And then the real David Suzuki and Jacques Cousteau turned up.

No, that wasn't them either, says Sweezus.

O, says Carol. I always thought it was.

Mum, says Louisa. You knew it wasn't.

Was I there? asks Terence. Who was I?

You were the Bright Red Object, says Louisa.

Terence had forgotten. 

Well, Terence, says Carol, Louisa has got you a present.

Yay! says Terence. 

Have you wrapped it? asks Louisa. 

I wrapped it, says Carol. She hands Terence a box, tied with a bright red ribbon.

Terence opens the box.

What is it? Yippee! A watch!

No, a Tamagotchi, says Louisa.

No kidding! says Sweezus. I haven't seen one of them for, like..... years. 

See the three buttons? says Louisa. Press that one. And you'll see your egg.

Terence presses it.

But he doesn't see an egg. He sees a ghost and a headstone.

That must be my last pet, says Louisa. I guess I stopped feeding it, and it died.

Can I smell turkey? asks Gaius.

Yes, says Carol. I hope it's not too birdy.

Not at all, says Gaius. A turkey is what it is.

I mean, to eat, says Carol. I have plenty of salads.

We are all a bit under the weather, says Gaius. We've been eating sweaty pastries and drinking beer all yesterday, last night and first thing this morning.

Is that why Arthur and Reedy have collapsed on the sofa? asks Carol.

Could be. 

Or perhaps there was just nowhere to fit them into the conversation.


No comments: