Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Un By Un

Can you write my poem down? asks Terence.

All right, says Gaius. What is it?

Titty laritty tonton, says Terence. That's the first line.

Very good, says Gaius. That evokes Baby-Glossy for us in a musical manner.

He writes: Titty laritty tonton.

Next line? How about: now that Baby-Glossy has gone?

Where has he gone? asks Terence.

Perhaps not, says Gaius. The rhyme comes too early.

But where has he gone? asks Terence.

I buried him over there, says Gaius.

In the DIRT? says Terence.

Of course in the dirt, says Gaius. He will decompose and become one with the garden.

He won't like that, says Terence.

He will, says Gaius. Now, you think about the next line while I bird-spot.

Gaius settles back on the bench and looks up at the sky.

What luck! Two rainbow bee eaters!

In search of bees, doubtless.

He writes down the Latin name, being that sort of person.

Terence stomps over to the dirt spot where Baby-Glossy is buried.

He addresses the ex-baby-parrot directly:


Titty laritty tonton

I'm sorry, Baby-Glossy.

Sorry I squashed you

Because you were there 

When my feet came down 

Because Gaius asked me

To get him the notebook

So it was really his fault.

Now you're not going anywhere.

You will be one with the garden.

I'll tell you what that means

Your bits will drop off.

Un by un.


Un by un! says Gaius That is most fitting! I have recorded it, verbatim, in my notebook, never mind that it follows my list of birds recently spotted, including the purple crested lorikeets and the rainbow bee eaters, or should I say the.....

( he continues, mainly in Latin ).

 

No comments: