Sunday, December 20, 2020

Into The Vortex

Saint Roley flies inland, looking for wetlands.

He spots a short stretch of water, and lands nearby.

Why am I doing this? thinks Saint Roley.

A pink-eared duck floats past, followed by another.

Here's a good spot, says the duck.

Let's do it, says the other. No wait, there's another bird here.

Don't let me stop you, says Saint Roley.

No, we're not doing it while you're here, says the second duck.

Then I'll be off, says Saint Roley, but first may I ask you a question?

Make it quick, says the first pink-eared duck.

Has either of you ever longed for adventure? asks Saint Roley.

All the time, says the first pink-eared duck.

Yes, says the other one.

Okay, says Saint Roley. That was my question. Now I'm off to deliver a thermometer.

You're a delivery bird? asks the first pink-eared duck. 

No, says Saint Roley. It's a favour.

You don't even have a thermometer, says the second duck.

I have to go and pick it up from my friends in Stokes Bay, says Saint Roley. 

So why are you here asking questions? asks the second duck.

That's what I ask myself, says Saint Roley. Why do I bother?

Bother to do what? asks the second duck. You may as well tell us.

There's an infant back there at Stokes Bay who wants a new parrot, says Saint Roley. A pink-eared duck was suggested. 

The ducks laugh.

Yes, says Saunt Roley. It is funny. That's why I'm not going to ask you. But it was pleasant to meet you.

And you, says the first pink-eared duck. 

Saint Roley flies back to Stokes Bay, At least he has a plan now.

The ducks have two options.

1. Continue with what they were planning to do (vortexing).

2. Apply for the job as a parrot.


No comments: