Sunday, December 6, 2020

Death Of A Parrot

Sorry! Sorry! cries Terence.

But too late. He has crushed Baby-Glossy.

He looks at Gaius.

Gaius picks up crushed Baby-Glossy.

I blame myself, says Gaius.

Why? asks Terence. 

I agreed to him hiding under the bench, says Gaius. 

It was my idea, says Terence.

But I should have made sure he was not directly under your feet, says Gaius. 

Me too, says Terence. Now I've killed my parrot.

Nothing to be done, says Gaius. I'll bury him. You go inside and bring me my notebook.

Are we going to write him a poem? asks Terence.

No... well yes, why not? says Gaius. It's the least we can do for Baby-Glossy. Although I admit, I'm not good at poems.

I am, says Terence. Let's both do one.

Wonderful, says Gaius.

Terence goes inside, to look for the notebook.

Gaius starts digging with a trowel that Louisa has left nearby, next to a pot.

Terence finds the notebook. He even finds a pencil.

He sees his mood stone on the table. Will he try it? He must surely have feelings right now.

He picks up the mood stone which turns purple. 

Yippee!

(This may seem remarkable, but we must not forget Terence has been out in the sunshine).

He goes back outside, with the notebook, the pencil and the mood stone.

Look ! says Terence.

Gaius looks up from burying Baby-Glossy.

It's purple!

So it is, says Gaius. That must mean you're sad.

(Fortunately he does not know that purple indicates very happy).

Have you thought of a poem? asks Terence.

Working on it, says Gaius. How's this:


Here lies Baby-Glossy, who fell out of a sheoak

Raised by humans, and taught to speak English

And one word of French.

 Much loved was Baby-Glossy, whose life was cut short

When Terence crushed him

Jumping down from a bench.


That's good, says Terence. Except you left out I didn't do it on purpose, and it was really your fault.

I'll leave that to you, says Gaius.


No comments: