Saturday, December 5, 2020

Birds Love Me

Ten minutes, says Gaius. And not a single bird has appeared in the garden.

What about me? asks Baby-Glossy.

And me, says Saint Roley.

Perhaps you two are the problem, says Gaius. 

Perhaps we are, says Saint Roley. The other birds, having spotted us from a distance, are keeping away.

Get under the seat, says Terence. Birds love me.

That is debatable, says Gaius. But let's try it. That is, if Saint Roley and Baby-Glossy are willing.

I am not willing, says Saint Roley. I would find it demeaning. I shall fly back to Stokes Bay, and see how the sushi-tasting is going.

Fair enough, says Gaius. What about you, Baby-Glossy?

Are you coming with me? asks Saint Roley.

What is the meaning of demeaning? asks Baby-Glossy.

Ha ha! laughs Terence. The meaning of de meaning. That's a good one.

Am I un good un? says Baby-Glossy. 

A good one, says Gaius. 

Baby-Glossy decides he will stay, if Gaius and Terence think he's a good un.

 He hops down from the stone bench and tucks himself under it, looking out between Gaius's legs and Terence's toes.

Saint Roley flies off, glad to be solo.

Four purple crowned lorikeets fly past him in the opposite direction.

Saint Roley ignores them.

Let them go where they like.

The four purple crowned lorikeets are looking for apricots.

There are none in Louisa's back garden.

The lorikeets fly over the garden.

Look! says Gaius. Four purple crowned lorikeets, flying over!

Where? asks Terence.

Up there! says Gaius. Drat. I should have brought my notebook. I left it inside.

I'll get it, says Terence. I want to get my mood stone.

He drops down from the stone bench, rather heavily.

Crunch! He lands on Baby-Glossy.


No comments: