Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Polynesia Or Nothing

Follow me, says Terence. 

The pink-eared ducks look at one another.

We're in!

They follow Terence along the shore to a group of people.

Not Victor. He has left on police business.

Not Saint Roley. He has left on bird business

Hello Terence, says Gaius. I see you have found two new parrots.

The ducks look at one another again.

Fear not, ducks, says Gaius. I'm playing along with young Terence. I know a duck when I see one.

We understand, says the first duck, We have agreed to be taken on as parrots.

New parrots, little buddy? says Sweezus. They look cool.

Yes, says Terence. They have masks and zebra stripes and pink ears.

Those are not their real ears, says Gaius. Their real ears are lower.

The ducks look at one another for a third time.

Impressive.

I LOVE your pink ears, says Louisa.

Our real ears are lower, says the second duck.

I thought you agreed to this role play, says Louisa.

Excluding the ears, says the first duck.

Okay, says Louisa. I love your fake ears. 

We're not trying to be awkward, says the first duck.

Yeah, says Sweezus. Stick up for yourselves. You need ground rules with Terence.

Yes! says Terence. My rules are: do what I want.

Hold it, says Sweezus. Your parrots sometimes jack up. You need to find out what they will and won't do. And what their skills are.

What? says Terence.

And what our names are, says the first duck.

Malachorhynchus membrabaceus, says Gaius.

Call those NAMES? says the second duck.

No, says Terence. You need PARROT names.

We'll choose them, says the second duck.

I choose Polynesia, says the first duck.

Me too, says the second.

You can't both be Polynesia, says Terence.

But the ducks are adamant. Polynesia or nothing.


No comments: