Wednesday, December 2, 2020

One I Could Be

That was good, says Arthur.

He and Terence are walking back to Louisa's.

No it wasn't, says Terence. I didn't get a compass.

But you got a mood stone, says Arthur.

It doesn't work, says Terence.

He shows Arthur his mood stone.

It's still brown.

Give it here, says Arthur.

The mood stone turns purple.

Look, says Arthur. It's changed colour. Now you try.

He returns the mood stone to Terence.

It turns brown.

What's a mood? asks Terence.

Sullen, says Arthur. 

Is that what you are? asks Terence.

Not these days, says Arthur. I used to be sometimes at school.

What's another one? asks Terence. One I could be.

You said you wanted to be cool, says Arthur.

But how do you BE cool? asks Terence.

You just are, says Arthur. Sweezus is cool.

Well I'm going to test him, says Terence.

Good idea, says Arthur. 

Is it? says Terence.

Yes, says Arthur. Does that make you feel happy?

YES! says Terence.  

He looks at his mood stone.

Brown.

No, says Terence. I'm not happy.

Give it to me again, says Arthur. I'll make myself run through a mix of emotions.

Arthur can do that, being a poet.

Into the furious lashings of the tides I danced on the eternal rollers of victims...says Arthur.

What? asks Terence.

Pretending to be a boat, says Arthur.

Let's see if it worked, says Terence. 

They look at the stone.

Green!

It works, says Arthur. But I wonder what green means.

He realises he could find out by googling mood stones.


No comments: