Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Many Uses Of Mothers

 Louisa searches her house for a present for Terence.

Nothing.

She calls her mum, Carol, in Kingscote.

Mum! Have you got my old Tamagotchi?

Somewhere, says Carol. Why?

Can you bring it over? asks Louisa.

No, says Carol. I'm busy making a trifle.

Bugger, says Louisa. If I send some friends round, can you give it to them?

I suppose so, says Carol.

Could you wrap it up first? asks Louisa.

So it's a present for one of your friends, says Carol. 

Yes, they're coming to my house for Christmas dinner, says Louisa.

When? asks Carol.

Tomorrow lunch time, says Louisa.

But I'm expecting you here! says Carol.

Oh, says Louisa. I forgot.

Forgot your own mother, says Carol. And here I am with a turkey.

Turkey? says Louisa. Could you cook something a little less birdy?

What's it to you, if you're not coming? asks Carol.

We could all come, says Louisa. It'd save me an embarrassment. All I've got is sushi leftovers and popcorn.

Bring the popcorn, says Carol. How many friends are we talking?

Um... Sweezus, Arthur, Gaius and Reedy, says Louisa. And Terence, but he doesn't eat anything. At least he shouldn't. And there may be two ducks, but they'll find their own food.

I remember your friends, says Carol. It'll be nice to see them again. Where are they now?

Stokes Bay, says Louisa. In Reedy's caravan.

Cripes, they'll all be drunk, says Carol.

Let's hope not, says Louisa. I was planning to bring some wild gin.

Bring it anyway, says Carol.

So Christmas is sorted.

Louisa calls Arthur. 

Wha...? says Arthur. 

He sounds a bit out of it.

(Carol was right).


No comments: