Monday, December 28, 2020

Crap Guardian

 In the stuffy interior of the blue caravan Sweezus's phone rings.

Woowa-uh! he wakes up.

Gaius? No way. Gaius is snoring, in a corner.

Terence! It must be!

Is that you little buddy? asks Sweezus. You in trouble?

Yes! says Terence. I'm outside.

I know you're outside, says Sweezus. Whereabouts exactly? 

OPEN THE DOOR! shouts Terence. I'm OUTSIDE!

Sweezus stumbles over Reedy and Arthur and lifts the door's wood-and-wire handle.

Bright light floods the caravan.

Terence steps inside.

Good, you're okay, says Sweezus. I was worried.

I wasn't worried, says Terence. I was something else. 

What was that? asks Sweezus.

I was up on the sand hill, says Terence. And I could see everything.

Cool, says Sweezus. So you got a perspective.

No, says Terence. I didn't. But Louisa said she'll find me a present.

Awesome, says Sweezus. So you've got something to look forward to, tomorrow.

But no parrots, says Terence.

Where are they? asks Sweezus.

Spinning on the water, says Terence.

Spinning, says Sweezus. Did they eat some of Reedy's mum's pastries?

No, says Terence. They're just spinning. 

You're better off without them, says Sweezus. I never liked birds.

You will one day, says Terence, because I do.

Wrong way round little buddy, says Sweezus. One day you won't, because I don't.

Shit man, says Reedy, who has been half awake listening. You his dad or something?

No way, says Sweezus. Sort of more like a crap guardian.

What's the difference? says Reedy.

Gaius sits up at this point. He too was half listening.

As to the ducks spinning, says Gaius, it's just what they do. They spin in pairs, on the water,  head to tail, and create a vortex which forces food up from the bottom.

That's freakin' clever, says Sweezus. Good on them.

See, says Terence.

 

No comments: