Thursday, December 17, 2020

The Slice Up

Did you kill Baby-Glossy? asks Louisa.

Certainly not, says Victor. I'm a policeman.

Terence said you cut him in half, says Louisa.

I did, but he was already dead, says Victor.

I can attest to that, says Gaius. I buried him earlier.

So what happened? asks Sweezus.

It was an accident, says Terence. By me.

Bad luck, says Sweezus. I bet you stepped on him. 

Right! says Terence. I was jumping down off a bench and he was where I landed.

So you need a new parrot, says Sweezus.

And you think it should be me, says Saint Roley.

Gaius said, says Terence.

It would only be temporary, says Gaius. Until he finds a better one.

A better one! says Saint Roley. I'll find him a better one. Terence, come with me.

Saint Roley stalks off down the beach. Terence follows.

Victor starts questioning Arthur.

Victor (whipping out his plastic bag of evidence): Do you recognise this thermometer?

Arthur: I left it with Gaius. 

Victor: Can you explain how you came by it?

Arthur: The cleaner at the chemist.

Victor: Cleaner?

Arthur: He gave it to me.

Victor: Just the one?

Arthur: Just the one. 

Reedy: What about the one you used to poke the filling back into the sushi?

Victor: You don't get to ask questions, Reedy. What about it, Arthur?

Arthur: The other one's for Captain du Coeudic. When he gets it, it'll be paid for.

Victor: I'll need to see the receipt.

Arthur: Sure, no problem.

Victor puts his evidence away. 

He has done his duty and achieved a postponement.

And everyone seems to have forgotten that he sliced up Baby-Glossy.


No comments: