Sunday, July 28, 2024

Accidental Frogslaughter

Looks like you've been drinking red drinks, says Arthur.

How do you know? asks Sweetpea.

Red lips, says Arthur.

Sweetpea licks his red lips.

And red nose, says Arthur. 

Sweetpea rubs his red nose with his little stone finger.

His little stone finger now has a red tint as well.

Nicolo looks at Arthur.

Arthur looks back at him.

All right, says Nicolo. No more red drinks for Sweetpea. 

So what CAN I have? asks Sweetpea.

Water, says Arthur.

Good thinking, says Nicolo. Water. I should have known better. 

But Terence said.... begins Sweetpea.

Terence doesn't turn bright red, says Arthur.

Everyone is different, says the Kroombit tinker. Take me for example. Is there any red drink left?

No, says Sweetpea.

Pity, says the tinker. Then we could see.

See what? asks Sweetpea. 

Who I was like, says the tinker.

If you went red, says Sweetpea, you'd be like me.

And if I didn't, I'd be like Terence, says the tinker.

Who do you want to be like? asks Sweetpea.

No one, now I come to think of it, says the tinker. What I'm really here for is the confession.

She hops onto the back of Nicolo's seat.

Looks like you have to write that confession, says Arthur.

She can write it, says Nicolo. I said I'd sign it.

Okay, says Arthur. I'll help her.

Thanks, says the tinker. Have you got any paper?

Not on me, says Arthur.

I've got paper, says Nicolo. 

He whips out a notepad, of creamy thick paper, with a fancy 'N M' at the top of each page.

Impressive, says Arthur. Got a pen?

Nicolo hands him a pen.

The Kroombit tinker hops down beside Arthur.

Arthur starts writing: I Nicolo Machiavelli confess to the ....

He stops.

Accidental killing? asks Arthur.

Accidental frogslaughter, says the tinker.

....accidental frogslaughter of Insect-bonk, Worm-bonk and Spider-bonk, valued members of Baby Pierre's cycling team, when they failed to get out of my way. In the Tour de France, these things happen. No blame attaches to their house mother the Kroombit tinker, who was not at the scene at the time.

How's that sound? asks Arthur.

You tell me, says the Kroombit tinker.

It lets him off and it lets you off, says Arthur.

So he'll probably sign it, says  the tinker.

He'll sign it, says Arthur.


No comments: