Tuesday, July 23, 2024

My Question Exactly

Hey! There's a live frog on your table, says a man, coming over.

We know, says Gaius. 

Did it escape from the kitchen? asks the man.

No, says Gaius. No need for a fuss.

You should report it, says the man.

It's our frog, says Terence. 

A pet frog? says the man. That's nice. 

He returns to his table to tell his wife and Milly, their eight year old daughter. 

Then all three come over.

Now what? asks Vello. 

Just wanted to show my family, says the man.

Terence stares at the family rudely.

Sweetpea stares too.

Milly stares back.

Have you got a frog? asks Terence.

No, says Milly. And I don't eat them.

We don't eat them, says Terence.

Why have you got frogs' legs on your plates? asks Milly.

My question exactly, says the Kroombit tinker.

The family is startled. The frog talks!

They return to their table.

Did you think it had an accent? asks the man

Yes, says the woman. And it did look familiar.

Maybe it was the one we saw racing in the time trial, says Milly.

I doubt it, says her mother.

I'll go and ask, says Milly.

She goes back to ask the tinker.

Did you race in the time trial? asks Milly.

Yes, says the Kroombit tinker. And I beat everyone. But nobody timed me.

So how do you know? asks Milly.

Stop talking to my frog, says Terence. 

But it's interesting, says Milly. She thinks she won it.

She had a fast bike, says Sweetpea.

Hah! says the Kroombit tinker. Fast legs AND a fast bike.

Milly laughs and goes back to her parents.

It was her, says Milly. And she says she won it.

Go back and find out a bit more, says her father.

She goes back again. 

The desserts have arrived.

Boules de glace of various colours and pavlova aux fruits exotiques.

Any flies? asks the Kroombit tinker.

Come with me, says Terence. I bet there'll be flies on the window.

He gets down from the table.

So do Sweetpea and the Kroombit tinker

Milly follows them to the window, and watches them try to catch flies.


No comments: