Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Resolution

Gaius and Victor were inside the bakery at the front of the queue. Victor often found himself at the front of a queue. No one felt comfortable with the local policeman standing behind them.

Gaius was defending Sweezus.

You see, said Gaius, if it's all in the timing, then I shall attest that you thought he was innocent BEFORE he escaped from the back seat of the police car, and BEFORE you lost the evidence.

What? said Victor, not quite following.

What would you like, Victor? asked the girl behind the counter.

A vegetable pasty and a custard berliner, said Victor. Thanks.

You said it, said Gaius. I heard you.

And you? asked the girl.

Pardon? Oh, I'll have the same, said Gaius.

I've got his shorts, said Victor. And his bike.

Gaius gave up, and decided to try for Plan B.

Belle et Bonne came in.

Keep Victor talking, she whispered. Sweezus is here.

Tell him to escape on my bike, said Gaius.

Brilliant plan , said Belle et Bonne.

......

Sweezus was sitting outside at a table in the shade with the twins.

Tweet tweet, said Catherine. We're penguins. Let's eat a pie!

Tweet tweet! said Sweezus, half-heartedly.

Sweezus, said Belle et Bonne. Gaius says to escape on his bicycle.

No, said Sweezus. I'm staying. I've decided to be more like Frog.

Frog? said Jean. Rrriddip!

No, said Sweezus. Not that sort of frog.

Victor and Gaius came out with their warm paper bags.

Victor, said Sweezus. I'm not guilty of anything. This has all been a fiction. Do you not understand?

Of course I understand, said Victor. You can go. But those shorts must not leave Victor Harbor.

No comments: