Monday, October 24, 2011

Catherine the Great

After the lecture The VeloDrone and Le Bon David joined the crowd in the reception hall to drink tea and orange juice, and eat coconut cakes. The Baroness Professor made a beeline for them.

Hello! she said. I hope you've saved me some cake.

There's precious little of it, said The VeloDrone. Only two plates. This school is obviously not as wealthy as it looks. Would you like a bite of mine, Baroness?

I think I'll pass on that, said the Baroness. But do please call me Susan.

Alright Susan, said The VeloDrone. And you must call me Vello. David of course, you have already met, inside.

Yes indeed, said Susan. Hello David. I'm really looking forward to your question.

Baroness Susan was so pleasant that Le Bon David hardly had the heart to go through with his question, but he decided to press ahead anyway.

Well, Susan, he said. You have called your talk "How can neuroscience help us understand imagination?", but you gave your talk on human consciousness, claiming that consciousness and imagination are one and the same. I would contend that consciousness and imagination are two different things.

Go on, said Susan.

For example, said Le Bon David, those platform high heels you're wearing. I would claim that they represent the triumph of imagination over consciousness.

How rude! said Susan. You will have to explain what you mean by that remark.

You mean define my terms? said Le Bon David.

Yes....NO! said Susan. Well, you have got me there, David. Now you see why I always try to disable the philosophers at the beginning of my talk. Although I do find I usually get on well with them in the real world.

Madam, said Le Bon David. You are very gracious.

Madam, said The VeloDrone, you are. You remind me very much of my old friend Catherine the Great, a brilliant scientist and a woman of great beauty.

Oh get on with you, said Susan, blushing and flicking back her pony tail. You know, she added, you two are truly fascinating. I would really like to attach electrodes to both your heads.

Hee hee! said The VeloDrone. I'm sure that could be arranged.

No comments: